Here’s what the students had to say:
- What are some important lessons you learned today?
- That everyone is different and everyone has different beliefs but that they are welcoming and friendly.
- Hold your judgment until you actually experience it because you could be completely wrong.
- How similar Christianity is to Judaism
- We need to have a greater understanding of different religions and cultures and are excited to have started to learn about them today!
- It was a very special experience for us
- It is important to learn about the beliefs of people before you judge them
- We think that it is important to share about the holidays and traditions they have and why they
- We learned that Rabbis are funny and approachable. We don’t need to be nervous around them. They are open to suggestions and want to help us learn.
- We learned that rabbis dress according to their religious orientation. Some wear robes and some don’t.
- People aren’t that different just because they are Jewish- they’re normal, just like us!
What are some of the common stereotypes you had about Judaism when you arrived? How did what you learned today help to correct those stereotypes?
- We thought only men could be rabbis
- We thought all rabbis had beards and big hats
- We thought that Rabbis didn’t like to talk to other people but they are very friendly!
- We thought that the rabbi would have on a black cloak and a kippah
- We thought the rabbis would be very serious- but they are nice!